Ganesh Chaturthi & Georgette
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all my dear readers! Ganapati Bappa Morya!!
Well, I have been held up and hence the delay in posting. It was an auspicious day. Like most others, we too, have brought Bappa home. This is my first Ganesh Chaturthi after our wedding. My husband who is an ardent believer of Lord Ganesha, had been celebrating this day for the past nine years by bringing Ganapati home. This is the 10th year, and though we wanted to celebrate this day with much fervour and grandeur, we decided that it would be best to keep things minimal this year given that the entire nation is fighting a pandemic.
It had been a hectic day throughout. Ever since I woke up this morning, I was running around the house, cleaning and picking up the mess that gets accumulated over the week. Thankfully, the pile of mess was much less. My husband and I went to the market nearby to purchase the essential supplies required for puja, returned home, and finished all arrangements. Also I had my regular office work to be completed as well. I wanted to drape a saree for the puja but could not manage to do so during the day with so much going on. But how could I not wear a saree on a festival? I had so many reasons to wear one - One, I love sarees. Two, it is a festival today. Three, my first Ganesh Chaturthi at my new home. Well, not that I need so many excuses to wear a saree but I used all of these to push myself into wearing one for the evening aarti.
So, here it is. This is an old one, pulled from a corner of my wardrobe. It is a bright red georgette saree with yellow umbrella motifs embroidered throughout the saree along with tiny bunch of flowers around the umbrellas. It has a golden zari lace border, not more than an inch in width. However the best part of this saree is its gorgeous contrast designer blouse. The blouse piece, as seen in the picture, is a midnight blue raw silk number with similar tiny floral motifs embroidered on it. I made it a little more fashionable by giving the blouse a boat neck design. I do not remember the exact year I bough this saree. It probably was 3 to 4 years ago, but I had bought it from someone on Facebook. This was my first saree purchase on Facebook and though I was skeptical initially, I was glad that it was a pretty decent piece.
For those who do not know, here are some fun facts about Georgette:
1. The fabric, Georgette, is named after Georgette de la Plante, a 20th century dressmaker.
2. Georgette is originally made from highly twisted yarns of silk.
3. A piece of real georgette fabric will be sheer, lightweight, and dull-finished.
4. It has a characteristic crinkly surface that is created by alternating S- and Z-twist yarns in both warp and weft.
5. Though georgette resembles very close to chiffon, it is springier and less lustrous.



Comments
Post a Comment